This portal is currently closed. It will be available for submissions between November 25 and December 5 Midnight (Doha Time).
Proposal Terms & Conditions
- Proposal Management Portal is a platform established by the Production Department of Al Jazeera Documentary Channel (AJD) for producers to pitch their documentary film projects. The applicant can choose between a full production by AJD or a co-production.
- In case of a full production, AJD owns full rights of the project/film upon finalization of the agreement, including and not limited to written and filmed materials. AJD acquires thereby the capacity of Producer, and the applicant acquires the title of Executive Producer.
- In the case of a co-production, AJD owns broadcasting, digital and geographical rights for a specific period. Second and third parties can own other rights (linguistic, geographical, etc.)
- The opening of the call for proposals and other important dates are announced on the official website of AJD at least one month prior to the effective opening date.
- The selection process usually takes between 5 and 7 weeks (depending on the number of projects), to be completed no later than the February 10 2022. During this period, the producers who are not selected will be notified by email.
- The second round takes from 3 – 4 weeks (depending on the number of projects). The final approvals will be sent by email no later than March 15, 2022.
The call for proposals is open for the ongoing cycle from November 25, 2021 until December 5, 2021 at midnight (Doha Time). Applications received after the deadline will be rejected.
All required fields (*) in the form are to be duly filled for the registration to be completed.
Minimum word count has to be met in all required fields (*) for the registration to be completed.
The number of proposals submitted shall not exceed 2 for independent producers and 4 for production companies. Excluding the on-hold projects from the last call of proposals.
Rejected proposals cannot be submitted for a second time except if they have been substantially revisited. In this case, the candidate is required to present a detailed description of the changes. Any submission of a proposal rejected twice will not be considered.
Proposals have to abide by the film genres specified in the application form in every cycle.
Priority acceptance for projects will be based on the following strands:
1. Art, Culture and Travel - Long Series: Series that focus on the arts of all types, such as music, painting, dance or any other type of art. This strand also includes the films about travels and adventures.
2. Social - Long series: All series that deal with human stories of all kinds and, are not subject to previous film classifications.
3. Palestine Story: All films that deal with the history and present of Palestine and all aspects related to its culture and heritage.
4. History: Historical films that investigate peoples’ memories and their recorded history.
5. People Inspiration: Films exploring different stories around the world (excluding Arab countries) and highlighting the diversity of human experiences and traditions.
6. Ramadan (Various durations 13, 26, 52-minute films or series): topics and stories that are suitable to be told into episodic series may vary geographically.
7. Art, Culture and Travel – One off: Films that focus on the arts of all types, such as music, painting, dance or any other type of art. This strand also includes the films about travels and adventures.
8. Social – One Off: All Films that deal with human stories of all kinds and, are not subject to previous film classifications.
9. Sports: Films that focus on the sports of all types, such as Football, Basketball, Swimming or any other type.
10. Free Lens: Creative films that coexist characters for more extended periods and are based on cinematic narration.
Upon completing each proposal in the portal, you will receive a code, please keep the code for future reference.
The following will be excluded from the selection process:
A. Incomplete proposals
B. Proposals that is sent after the deadline or the proposals sent by email.
C. All proposals from producers who exceeded the maximum allowed number.
- Applicants can maximize the chances of their proposals to be selected by inserting supporting elements such as a teaser, pictures of characters/guests, exclusive archives and documents, previous productions of the film director/producer.
- It is recommendable to refer to AJD productions catalog and YouTube Channel in order to avoid applying with topics that have already been addressed.
- For co-productions, it is preferable to have a co-producer or a director from the Arab World.